Bhagat Singh is one of the most influential revolutionaries who contributed positively to the Indian independence movement. Usually, a prefix of “Shaheed” is added before his name, and he is commonly known as Shaheed Bhagat Singh because of his significant contribution to the Indian freedom struggle. He died at the age of 21 but still managed to do a lot for the Indian freedom movement.
At such a young age, he inspired many people to participate in the freedom struggle. His ideas and quotes were so motivating and revolutionary that they are relevant even today. Therefore, this article has some of his quotes that are relevant to the people of India today as well.
Here are the top 10 motivational quotes by Bhagat Singh!
- Revolution is an inalienable right of humanity. Freedom is an imperishable birthright of all.
- I emphasize that I am full of ambition and hope and the full charm of life. But I can renounce all at the time of need, and that is the real sacrifice.
- The aim of life is no more to control the mind, but to develop it harmoniously; not to achieve salvation here after, but to make the best use of it here below; and not to realize truth, beauty and good only in contemplation, but also in the actual experience of daily life; social progress depends not upon the ennoblement of the few but on the enrichment of democracy; universal brotherhood can be achieved only when there is an equality of opportunity – of opportunity in the social, political and individual life.
- Love always elevates the character of a man. It never lowers him, provided love be love.
- Crush your individuality first. Shake off the dreams of personal comfort. Then start to work. Inch by inch you shall have to proceed. It needs courage, perseverance and very strong No difficulties and no hardships shall discourage you. No failure and betrayals shall dishearten you. No travails (!) imposed upon you shall snuff out the revolutionary will in you. Through the ordeal of sufferings and sacrifice, you shall come out victorious. And these individual victories shall be the valuable assets of the revolution.
- Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith. Item by item he has to reason out every nook and corner of the prevailingfaith. If after considerable reasoning one is led to believe in any theory or philosophy, his faith is welcomed. His reasoning can be mistaken, wrong, misled and sometimes fallacious. But he is liable to correction because reason is the guiding star of his life. But mere faith and blind faith is dangerous: it dulls the brain and makes a man reactionary.
- Merciless criticism and independent thinking are the two necessary traits of revolutionary thinking.
- ‘Revolution’ does not necessarily involve sanguinary strife nor is there any place in it for individual vendetta. It is not the cult of the bomb and the pistol. By ‘Revolution’ we mean that the present order of things, which is based on manifest injustice, must change.
- Lovers, Lunatics, and poets are made of the same stuff.
- They may kill me, but they cannot kill my ideas. They can crush my body, but they will not be able to crush my spirit.
Bhagat Singh is a super influential figure who questioned many meaningless traditions and religious ideologies of that time. He was amongst the first people who tried to understand the differences between Hindus and Muslims after the riots that broke out between the two groups.
He was greatly influenced by revolutionaries like Trotsky, Lenin, and Bakunin of those times. He completely dropped religious beliefs and had a very forward-looking approach. He was far ahead of his time in his thinking and approach towards life. This is the primary reason why his writings and motivational quotes are still relevant and effective.
It is obvious that no nation can progress with age-old beliefs. If people live in the den of darkness, it is terrible for them as well as for the nation. Hence, every individual today must follow the footsteps of Bhagat Singh and get out of their closed mindset of differences!